Thursday, May 29, 2014

Finally Ready (We Think)!

I had a couple of really cool pictures to include tonight, but the downloads were stuck at about 10%. Maybe tomorrow the wifi will be better. Hope so!

Today, I actually had some work to do! One of my jobs is to type the daily logs done by the Chief Archaeologist, Dr. Dan Warner. I actually had four days' worth to do. Besides getting lunch set up each day, that's the extent of my contribution to the Gezer effort so far. But that's about to change.

The diggers got all the debris out of the cistern today, photos of the causeway have been taken, the causeway has been mostly removed, and now the real digging can begin (as soon as the rest of the causeway is removed) on Sunday. We don't dig on Friday or Saturday because it is the weekend for Israel, with Shabbat on Saturday. We anticipate that lots of pottery will be found because it's the very bottom of the cistern, so the diggers, sifters, and I will be busy.

I learned something today that I hadn't realized. The pottery we will be finding on the very bottom of the cistern will date when it was last used as a source of water.  The archaeologists have a pretty good idea what they will discover, but I can't tell you yet. We have to be careful not to jump ahead of the people in charge of examining the pottery and dating it. Also, we can't show pictures of what is found or discuss dating until the official report is written and published. It's a little frustrating but understandable. The last thing anyone wants is for false information to be given out.

This isn't a very exciting post, I know, so I will try to make up for it tomorrow. I am worn out - the heat really zaps all of us. Besides, getting up at 6:00 is way out of my norm!

Love you all,

M.

No comments:

Post a Comment