Monday, May 26, 2014

Anticipation

View from the site into the valley below. Rich farm land where once there was 
a major trade route, the Via Maris, between Mesopotamia and Egypt.


As you can tell, I have learned how to insert photos, with much help from Gary, our "guru" on the dig. At least I learned last night! Today may bring on another lesson.

We had no internet last night, which is why there was no post. Two groups of "birthers" arrived, and within five minutes the system was overwhelmed. I finally found a pocket of power this morning, so here I am.

The nation of Israel has a Birthright program, which has the goal of connecting high school and college Jews, mostly from US and Canada, to their homeland and tradition. They come over here for 10 days, all expenses paid, to find out what being a Jew means. The thought is that with this knowledge and experience, there will bring not only a connection but also a loyalty. Must be working - it's been around for a long time. On the practical side, we've been told that Israel earns $3.00 in tourism dollars for every $1.00 spent for the trip.  Lots of souvenirs and, I suspect, much Israeli beer (from what we saw last night).

No much to tell about the dig. We've hit an impasse in the tunnel. The expectation was that the bottom of the tunnel would be ready for excavation. However, the natural stairs weren't completely finished, so it is nearly impossible and more than a bit dangerous for the diggers to go down there. I think Asi was given so much clearing to do over the winter that there just wasn't time. 

In the meantime, while attempts are made to figure out how to maximize access, the rest of us sit. We've done all the "moving rocks" stuff, creating parking spaces and fancying up the entrance. They did some "dry runs" in sifting just to see how the new grates would work out. They are spectacular, and now the sifters (lead by John) are anxious to really do sifting. 

In the registration tent, I'm anxious to actually to have artifacts to record. I have rearranged and set up all I can and would like to find something else to do, but I must be the "guard" to keep unauthorized visitors from coming on to the site. Oh, yes, I'm really good at that - NOT!! I have trouble knowing who should and who should not go down, and I don't always get a list of expected visitors. I am getting a lot of reading done and have had good conversations with fellow diggers. And yet I'm tired at the end of the day!

Well, it's breakfast. Love you all!

M.


No comments:

Post a Comment